What to see in Scarperia? There are numerous historical, artistic and cultural attractions of great importance that the municipality offers.
Palazzo dei Vicari
Palazzo dei Vicari is the symbol of Scarperia and its history. In 1306 the Florentine Republic had to destroy the Castello di Montaccianico, belonging to the family of Ubaldini, to begin building the Palazzo dei Vicari. Initially, the palace was called Castle of San Barnaba. Read more…
Museum Ferri Taglienti
The Museo dei ferri taglienti, inaugurated in 1999, is located within the Vicar’s Palace. The Museum recounts the history of Scarperia knifes from the Middle Ages up to the present day thanks to video support, educational panels and a work desk that allows tourists to try to build knives. Read more…
Prepositura Santi Jaopo e Filippo
Prepositure Jacopo and Filippo is located in Piazza dei Vicari. It was built according to Agostinian’s wishes between 1325 and 1326. In 1808 it became the seat of the Prepositure. During the centuries, the Church has undergone numerous restorations. The most drastic was that of 1870-1871 because the interior and exterior were modified. The restoration of the bell tower ended in 1935. The interior is in one large nave. At the bottom of the aisle there is the choir with apse, which houses a wooden crucifix, where the side absidals chapels are opened. Inside, there are six 18th-century altars and the walls have fragments of fresco representing “La Maddalena” and “Crocifissione. There are also great canvases belonging to the seventeenth and eighteenth-century Florentine paintings. Among these we can mention: St.Tommaso di Villanova, la Crocifissione con Santi e la Natività della Vergine.
Oratory of Madonna dei Terremoti
Near the Porta Fiorentina (today disappeared) there was the “Spedale Santa Maria”. It was a hospital for pilgrims on the way to Bologna. This building had on the wall the painting of Madonna con Bambino. It was probably realized around 1448 and is attributed to Filippo Lippi, an important Renaissance artist. The story tells that on the occasion of the disastrous earthquake of 1542, the Madonna supported the Child on her knees and joined her hands as a sign of prayer. Since then, she has been called the Madonna dei Terremoti, and was built in her honour the Oratorio della Madonna dei Terremoti. The current Oratory is the result of some late 1800s.
Villa “Il Torrino”, privately owned, was built in medieval style between 1930 and 1940 on the remains of one of the towers that was part of the city wall. Around the Villa there is a beautiful Italian garden and a park, designed by the architect and owner of the villa Vittorio Collacchioni, with labyrinths of hedges, secular trees and numerous sculptures, some of which are in Liberty style belonging to the Chini school. The interior of the villa is furnished with antique furniture and valuables belonging to different epochs. It is possible to visit the Villa on reservation only during the Diotto, a village event that is usually celebrated in the first ten of September. A recent restoration made it possible to highlight the 14th century parts.
Oratory of the Madonna del Vivaio
The Oratory of the Madonna del Vivaio was built, in the will of Giangastone de ‘Medici, between 1724 and 1741 just outside the walls. Nearby there was a tabernacle that housed a fresco of the Madonna and Child of 1400. The name of the Vivaio comes from the fact that beside the Madonna there were two sources that gathered in a pond. This work was then moved into the building. The Oratory, realized according to a project by Alessandro Galilei, develops with a central plant surmounted by a dome. The exterior was made of the Enlightenment style, then characterized by very simple volumes. The interior, however, in late Baroque style, has many stucco decorations.
Oratory of the Madonna di Piazza
The Oratory of the Madonna di Piazza, built in 1320, is on the left side of the Piazza dei Vicari. Since 1415 the Oratory was used to celebrate the ritual in which the Vicars swore allegiance to the Republic. Built in the 15th century style, the building has a Renaissance portal. On the facade you can also see three mullioned sandstone window and a window that lets you see a temple made around 1490 where there is a panel that depicts a Madonna con Bambino. This work, also called Madonna in Piazza, is attributed to Jacopo Del Casentino or Taddeo Gaddi. Below the temple there is a marble tabernacle made by Mino da Fiesole, with God at the center and sides of two cherubs file. The interior is covered by frescoed vaults with geometric decorations and rose windows that representing images of Saints. The times were partly destroyed by the 1542 earthquake.
Castello del Trebbio was one of the first residences the Medici built in Mugello. It is located on a hill overlooking the whole of the Mugello valley and is close to a trivium (Trebbio means trivium exactly). The castle was built according to Giovanni di Bicci’s wishes. Read more…
Pieve Santa Maria in Fagna
The Pieve di Santa Maria is located along the road that leads from San Piero to Sieve to Scarperia near the hamlet of Fagna. Pieve was built around 1018. In 1770 it underwent a radical transformation that modified its exterior and bell tower. The original structure remained only the ambon and the baptismal font (both of the second half of the twelfth century). The Pieve structure is a three-nave aisle basilica separated by two rows of rectangular pillars with seven round arches. The central nave is raised. Everything is covered by a barrel vault.
On the fifth pillar on the right there is a hexagonal pulpit decorated with green geometric motifs on white marble from the 12th century.
On the first altar on the left is the Assunzione della Vergine di Santi di Tito of 1587 and on the left on the main altar there is a Cristo Morto made in wax in 1805 by Clemente Susini.
Other prestigious works are a Madonna con Bambino, the Assunzione della Vergine (which was the main altarpiece).
Villa Panna was for a long time a residence of the Medici family, who in 1427 entrusted Michelozzo with the task of transforming it into a luxurious Villa. So gardens and a park for hunting were created. A small church was also built. The family gave the villa the name Panna because he remembered the color of the plaster. In 1650 Grand Duke Ferdinand II decided to bring some camels under the supervision of an Arabian guard in the park of the villa. This idea came to mind after seeing a procession with these animals. By the middle of the 1800’s it was purchased by the Marchesi Torrigiani. During this time the Villa underwent renovations according to a romantic style. It was also built an English park where there were: a small artificial lake, a belvedere and numerous statues. The Torrigiani Family was the first to use the nearby source to obtain mineral water. The water was bottled and labeled by hand and then brought to Florence with horses and sold in carboy. Today the villa is located within the Water Natural Reserve of Acqua Panna managed by the Sanpellegrino Group.
Archaeological Documentation Center
The Archaeological Documentation Center is part of the museum system of Sant’Agata. The museum, located in some rooms next to the parish church of Sant’Agata, overlooks the cloister. The center documents the history of Mugello from prehistory until the Middle Ages. The finds were found by the Archaeological Archaeological Group Scarperia (GAS). Read more…
Museum vita artigiana e contadina of Leprino
The Museum vita artigiana e contadina of Leprino is located in Sant’Agata and was realized by Mr. Faliero Lepri, better known as Leprino. It is a museum consisting of 65 characters on the move that tell the craftsmanship of Scarperia and Mugello. Read more…
Oratory of the Company of San Jacopo
The Oratory of the Company of San Jacopo, dated 1508, is located on the square opposite the Pieve di Sant’Agata. The latter housed a large artistic heritage that had accumulated in time at the Pieve di Sant’Agata. This heritage was first protected and valued. Thus, at the Oratorio della Società di San Jacopo, under abandonment conditions, the Museum of Sacred Art was created. Read more…
Museum Gotica of Ponzalla
The Museo Gotica, located in the hamlet of Ponzalla, was born to document the passage of the Second World War in Tuscany. In particular, they underlined the events of September 1944 that saw the passage of the Futa and the Pass of the Giogo as protagonists. These places were the scene of the attacks against the Gothic Line. Read more…