Palazzo dei Vicari is the symbol of Scarperia and its history. In 1306 the Florentine Republic had to destroy the Castello di Montaccianico, belonging to the family of Ubaldini, to begin building the Vicar’s Palace. Initially, the Palazzo dei Vicari was called Castle of San Barnaba, in relation to the original name of the country. The project was entrusted to the architect Andrea Pisano.
Frontally the palace looks like a residence but on the back looks like a fortress. Palazzo dei Vicari was the heart of the walls surrounding Scarperia. The whole building is equipped with a scarp at the base and on the right corner of the facade a tower is raised, with beams and brackets.
On the facade there are many coat-of-arms of the Florentine vicars. Leaving a family symbol was an obligation for every new vicar. Many coat-of arms are in glazed terracotta and come from the Shops of Della Robbia and Buglioni.
The interior is characterized by Renaissance frescoes. In the first room on the upper floor you can admire the “Madonna con Bambino e Santi” attributed to the Ghirlandaio school. In 1929 the Palazzo dei Vicari was restored due to a disastrous earthquake. In this circumstance the palace has been made very similar to Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
You can also admire the magnificent clock by Filippo Brunelleschi. This is a unique gem of its kind and restored thanks to the contribution of the Sanpellegrino Group.
Winter time (1 October to 31 May)
Wednesday Thursday Friday 10: 00-13: 00
Saturday Sundays and Festivals 10: 00-13: 00 14: 30-18: 00
Summer time (June 1 to September 30)
Wednesday to Sunday 10: 00-13: 00 15: 00-19: 00
Closed on Monday, Tuesday and December 25th
- Whole € 5.00
- Over 65 and Students under 25 € 4.00
- Children 7-14 years € 3,00
- Groups over 15 pax € 3,00
- School € 2.50
- Family ticket (consisting of 2 adults and at least 1 boy from 6 to 18 years) € 10,00
- Children up to 6 years old, disabled, journalists, guides and tour guides FREE
Rates for guided tours (compulsory booking)
- Adult groups min. 10 pax € 6,00
- Groups children 7-14 years and schoolchildren € 2.50
- Tour decks and tower € 6,00 (only on Sunday morning upon reservation)
- Handicraft Demonstration at the Antica Bottega € 2.00 (over the price of the ticket, upon reservation)
Phone. 055 8468165
Fax 055 8468862