What to see in Vicchio? In the municipality there are many attractions that can be visited as guests of the village and gave birth to illustrious characters of the story. Among them we can mention Benvenuto Cellini, Giotto, Don Lorenzo Milani. The remains of the Etruscan people have also been found on the territory. Continue reading to find out what to see in Vicchio and the history of the monuments in the town.
Benvenuto Cellini’s House
Benvenuto Cellini is an important sculptor, goldsmith, writer, silversmith and Italian artist. He is considered one of the most important artists of Mannerism. He is the author of the Perseus who decapitates the Medusa of the Loggia dei Lanzi, near the Uffizi, in Florence. He stayed in Vicchio between 1559 and 1571. History tells that during a dinner at Pier Maria d’Anterigoli he was poisoned and had to be treated for a whole year. The house is located in the current Corso del Popolo within the walls. It is supposed to have been built around 1324 (year of building the walls). Today in his completely restored house, there are also exhibitions and there is a goldsmith’s shop. The house has been placed in the Associazione Case della Memoria.
The story tells that Giotto, an important Italian architect and painter, was born in Vespignano in 1267. Here once stood the castle of Vespignano. According to the literary tradition, which has so far not been confirmed by the documents, the family had entrusted the son to the Cimabue workshop. The building has undergone numerous alterations over the centuries and the house suffered numerous damage during the 1919 earthquake. Read more…
Statue of Giotto
The statue of Giotto, in Vicchio’s main square, was an idea of the Italian poet Giosuè Carducci. The latter often went to Vicchio and was a guest of the Giarrè Billi family. The bronze statue was made by the sculptor Italo Vagnetti. The first stone of the statue was set up with an official ceremony on June 24, 1901, on the occasion of the patron saint of the municipality, St. John the Baptist. The inauguration of the statue, however, took place on September 8, 1901, with a long ceremony, which lasted until September 15th.
Church of Sant’Andrea in Barbiana
The Church of Sant’Andrea is located in the small district of Barbiana. Immersed in the forests of Monte Giovi, the present church was built on a 14th century building. Inside you can admire a fresco of the circle of Giotto, the Madonna with child and Santa Caterina. Read more…
Ragnaia Bridge, or better known as the Cimabue Bridge, was built in the Middle Ages. The current bridge dates back to the 1500’s. The story goes that in this place Cimabue and Giotto was encountered , while the latter was drawing a sheep. From this meeting, Cimabue would bring Giotto into his shop.
Tower of Cerchiai
Tower of Cerchiai is located in Piazza della Vittoria. It has medieval origins and has been restored after the disastrous earthquake of 1919. In addition to this tower there were another five scattered along the walls of the city. This is a rare example of a pentagonal base tower. At the top the tower has a battlements and the door is topped by a bezel and a small window.
The Giotto Theater was built in the early 1900s by the will of Umberto I, according to the engineer Giuseppe Chesi. It presents an elliptical plant and two balconate orders. The stage has been reduced during World War II to increase its capacity. During the fascist period it became the property of the Fascist National Party and later passed to the Italian state that used it as a cinema. It was closed in 1984 because not up to standard. It was reopened in 1994. It still retains the original structure, but the auditorium, the bleachers and the stage have been redone.
Museum “Arte Sacra e Religiosa Popolare”
The Museum of “Arte sacra e Religiosa Popolare” was inaugurated in 2000. The idea of creating this museum was born in the fact that in the Palazzo Comunale were collecting artistic objects that were believed to be saved, especially from the increasingly frequent thefts that came made in churches. The purpose of the museum is to protect and enhance the works of art. The new museum, titled to Beato Angelico. Read more…
Etruscan excavations Poggio Colla
Poggio Colla has been excavated from 1968 to 1972 by the Archaeological Superintendence for Tuscany. Since 1995 the excavations have been entrusted to the American University under the direction of Gregory Warden. During excavations, Archaic and Hellenistic periods of considerable value have been brought to light. Traces of the Etruscan period have also been found. The archaeological area is not well reported and is usually covered every year. If you want to visit it, it is recommended to do it during June and July when excavations are carried out.