What to see in Barberino di Mugello? Surely one of the most important attractions in this municipality is Lake Bilancino. In the historic center and in the surrounding countryside you can admire historic residences, villas and castles. Below you will find a list of the city’s most important attractions that will allow you to easily discover what to see in Barberino di Mugello.
Barberino Castle, now privately owned, was erected by the Cattani family in the 11th century. It is the oldest manor house in Tuscany, north of Florence. In 1370 it was converted into a country residence. In 1351 it was destroyed by the Florentine Republic. It was rebuilt in the 17th century by the Da Barberio family. Of the original structure to date there is only a fortified tower. From this year Barberino Castle has decided to organize group tours (minimum 10 people – maximum 30 people) of guided tours to visit the castle for citizens on the following dates.
Castle of Villanova
Villanova Castle was built in the 19th century on the remains of an old manor house. Inside the walls there was also a Company and the church of San Jacopo and is surrounded by a park. Today it is owned by the Commune and the Castle is used for weddings, catering, congresses and conferences.
The fifteenth-century Medicean Loggiato, located in Piazza Cavour, is made up of seven crucian-covered spans that stand on stone columns. It was made by Michelozzo on commission of doctors. It was used as a covered market.
Villa Cafaggiolo is one of the most connected villas in the history of the Medici family. It became a summer residence of the family since the mid 14th century. It was restructured by Michelozzo on commission of Cosimo il Vecchio between 1428 and 1451. It seems to have inspired the structure of a medieval fortress: two towers, a moat and a drawbridge. Read more…
Palazzo Pretorio was built in the 12th century at the same time as the walls of the old hamlet and was the ancient seat of the Podestà. On the facade you can admire, in addition to the many coat of arms of the ancient podestà, the sixteenth-century door surmounted by a newly constructed clock and bell tower. Palazzo Pretorio has been recently renovated and today houses the Municipal Library. Inside, cultural encounters are organized. There is a permanent collection of Giuliano Vangi, painter and sculptor born in Barberino in 1931.
Pieve di San Giovanni Adimari
The Pieve di San Gavino Adimari is one of the most important churchers in the area. It is mentioned for the first time in a document of 1038. In 1542 the church was destroyed by an earthquake and thanks to the Medici’s intervention was rebuilt. In 1700 it underwent further interventions and the church was transformed into a single nave. The decorative patrimony was also modified.
Inside the Pieve there is an organ of Giovanni Battista Pomposi of 1739.
Chiesa di Sant’Andrea a Camoggiano
The church of Sant’Andrea in Camoggiano dates back to the second half of the 15th century.
The loggetta facade, made of serene stone and white plaster, has recalls the Pazzi Chapel in Florence. Outside, above the entrance door, we can see a bezel that encloses the fresco with Christ in pity, attributed to Bartholomew of John. Inside there is a baptismal font decorated in terracotta and gold with Stories of St. John the Baptist.
Next to the church there is Palazzo Cattani dating back to the fifteenth century.
Pieve di San Bartolomeo
The Church of San Bartolomeo is of ancient origin, but the present building dates back to 1845 and 1847. Inside you can admire several important works, among which:
- Madonna with the child of Margaritone d’Arezzo, this is a painting on table
- Madonna with the child and four saints, is a Florentine school altarpiece of the second half of the fifteenth century. It comes from the church of Santo Stefano in Rezzano.
- Tito Chini’s frescoes on the dome of the choir
- Annunciation, altarpiece with an elegant frame, located in the adjoining oratory of the Company. It is attributed to the Ghirlandaio shop.
The present-day theater of the Barberino Municipality was built in the second half of the eighties and replaced the theater of 1903, built on the initiative of the Accademia degli Arrischiati. The old theater, completely destroyed to construct the present theater, had played a major cultural role and during the Fascist era was used as a movie theater. In the second post-war period, he assumed the name of Teatro Corsini, and was rented to private management. The Municipal Theater was included in the recovery plan of the theatrical structures initiated by the Tuscany Region with funds from the FIO fund. The new theater, built by the engineer Alberto Cazzaniga, has been designed for needs both theatrical, cinematic, cultural, And associative.
Since 2005 he has been assigned to the Catalyst Company directed by Riccardo Rombi.
Lake of Bilancino
Lake Bilancino is an artificial basin. It was built against the danger of flood and to secure a water reservoir in Florence. It collects the waters of various tributaries (Sieve, Lora, Stura, Calecchia, Tavaiano) which are then released to the Arno River through the Sieve River. The realization of the lake was promoted by the Tuscany Region and realized with European, state, regional and local funds. Over the years it has become a tourist destination. Read more …