The Town Hall of Borgo San Lorenzo is located in Piazza Dante and is now the seat of the Municipality.
In 1898 Nicolai was commissioned to draft a Regulatory Plan for the Municipality of Borgo San Lorenzo, which also included the placement of two new buildings such as Town Hall, Schools, Post office and Telegraph. Unfortunately, however, his project he was only able to provide schools because of the economic difficulties, the First World War and the earthquake of 29 June 1919.
Following these disasters and the need to find new premises for the town hall of Borgo San Lorenzo, in 1925 the municipal engineer Augusto Lorini resumed the Nicolai project by reducing the extension of the façade on the front of the square, which remains of classicist style with the doors and windows overhanged with timpanic frames and the brick wall panel on which columns and decorations are embedded in smooth concrete.
It was also planned to affix coats of arms, but it was never executed. The wall structure of the town hall of Borgo San Lorenzo was built between 1927 and 1929, while the Fornaci San Lorenzo, which had been directed for some years now by Tito Chini, intervened in the next phase of the works (1930-31) to cover all aspects decorations (paintings, pottery, glass) and the design of the entrance hall and the artistic qualification of the furnishings (lamps, doors and benches).
The facade was completed only in the second post-war period.
Description of the interior the Town Hall of Borgo San Lorenzo
The interior environment doesn’t have the late-Renaissance references of the exterior with a déco style visible in the geometric design of the windows (circle, rectangle and lozenge), golden colors and references to Greek and Oriental art.
The entrance hall is dominated by a large staircase with semi-circular steps and cylindrical grooved concrete columns made of jambs and parapets at the top. The space gets light from the stained glass windows on the front wall, of the apsidal shape, while the above velarium is covered.
On the first floor there is a hexagonal atrium illuminated by a large skylight, with a base in pompeian red on the walls on which are drawn in amphora, rosettes and gridirons.
From here, you enter the mayor’s room (hexagonal) initially conceived as a party room where the names of the famous Mugello characters are highlighted to highlight the symbolic importance of the place. On the beautiful red and white tile floor, the ceramic image of the patron Saint San Lorenzo is inscribed in a series of geometric circular frames while the windows are enriched by stunning glass windows.
In wrought iron is the chandelier of this room and the entrance hall wall lamps that support goblets in opaque glass.
In the lobby of the first floor, Tito Chini performed the painting of San Lorenzo and San Martino, which has an ideal view of Borgo San Lorenzo below.