What to see in Palazzuolo Sul Senio? Although it is a small medieval village, the monuments to visit are many and interesting. Among these, there are palaces, sanctuaries, churches and ancient ruins. The symbol of the country is no doubt the Palazzo dei Capitani.
Palazzo dei Capitani
Palazzo dei Capitani was built in 1300. On the facade we can admire the many coats of arms belonging to the Captains of the People who lived in the Palace. Today the Palace houses the Museum of Mountain Peoples and the Alto Mugello Archaeological Museum. Read more …
Santuario Madonna della neve in Quadalto
Nel 1459 fu eretto un piccolo oratorio nel luogo in cui c’era un pilastro con un’immagine della Madonna. Tra il 1630 e il 1639 l’edificio venne ampliato alle dimensioni del Santuario presente oggi. Altri cambiamenti sono stati fatti tra il XVII e il XVIII secolo. A causa dei terremoti del 1919 e del 1931, il Santuario fu gravemente danneggiato e poi restaurato. L’esterno dispone di un portico. L’interno è diviso in tre navate con archi su pilastri. Il Santuario ospita un’immagine della Madonna del Quattrocento, considerata sacra, e Sant’Agata e Santa Lucia, una pittura emiliana del 1600. Il coro, chiuso dai cancelli di Dino Chini in ferro battuto, ospita un organo settecentesco . Accanto al Santuario nel 1744, fu costruito un Convento.
Badia di Santa Maria in Susinana
The Badia of Santa Maria in Susinana was built as a benedictine abbey before the year one thousand. During the centuries he has had several functions: a place of prayer, pilgrimage asylum, but also a haven for adventurers. In 1137 the Badia of Santa Maria was completely destroyed. Between the XVII and the XVIII century it was completely transformed and it knows its maximum splendor. It became the home of the Pagani family. Maghinardo Pagani was buried in the Badia cemetery. The latter was also mentioned in the XXVII song of Dante’s Inferno. He describes it as the lord of Imola and Faenza and emphasized his contradictory political behavior (he line up first by the Guelphs and then by the Ghibellines). Inside the church there is a wooden chorus in 1771 and the ceramic baptismal font from Galileo Chini at the beginning of the twentieth century in Liberty style.
Ancient ruins of Castellaccio
On the hill called Castellaccio are located the ruins of Castrum Vallagnelli, a beautiful medieval fortress always belonged to the family of Ubaldini. It was sold to the Commune of Florence in 1362. Today it is possible to admire the ruins of a tower, the cistern and the walls of the city walls. The ruins can be reached on foot, by horse or by mountain bike.
The Villa of Gruffieto was built by the Fabroni and Baldesi families of Marradi between 1691 and 1695. Probably the Villa was built on the ruins of a house. The Villa has always played an important role as it was amongst many land plots, near the road that united Palazzuolo in Marradi and because it was surrounded by other locations with important historic buildings. It consists of many buildings:
- The Villa, built on two floors, houses a splendid inner courtyard with two wood-burning ovens for baking bread and sandstone arches (typical of Tuscan countryside villas).
- A chapel, just below the peasant residences made up of stables and service rooms.
- A stall
- A barn
- A drying warehouse with oven for chestnuts
The Villa welcomed over the centuries important people, such as Gaspare Finali and the poet of Marradi Dino Campana. Gruffieto Villa has been bought by many families. In 1998 it was purchased by the Trioschi family of Bagnacavallo, which started a long restoration lasting about 15 years. Today the Villa can be used to celebrate weddings, organize conventions and more.
Church of Santo Stefano
The church of St. Stephen has very ancient origins. Due to the many restorations that took place in the 18th century, in the twentieth century and after the Second World War, the church doesn’t retain the original structure. The church houses some paintings from the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, including: Sposalizio di Santa Caterina, la Madonna col Bambino,San Domenico e San Pietro Martire.
Church of Saints Antonio e Carlo
The Church of Saints Antonio and Charles is dedicated to Saints Antonio da Padova and Carlo Borromeo. It is a seventeenth-century building and is characterized by a three-arch porch. Inside you can admire altars with majestic stuccos and canvases of 1600. There is also a ceramic Via Crucis attributed to Tito Chini. On benches there are the names of donors. The Church is currently being used for exhibitions and conventions.