What to see in Borgo San Lorenzo? It is one of the most important towns of Mugello and contains many historical testimonies. We can go to the discovery of the ancient churchs, the Museums at Villa Pecori Giraldi and much more. Below you will find a list of the city’s most important attractions that will allow you to easily discover what to see in Borgo San Lorenzo.
14th century walls
Borgo San Lorenzo was encircled by walls in 1351 to protect it from the attacks of the Visconti of Milan and the Ghibellines. The walls comprised four towers with towers and inside there was a road network that severed the borough longitudinally. The current Piazza Cavour, originally Piazza dell’Orivolo, was the meeting point of the two main streets: Florence-Marradi and San Piero-Vicchio. Today, the 14th century walls remain very small. You can see a small part in S. Martino. Of the four original doors, there are only two: Porta Fiorentina at the bottom of Malacoda (via Mazzini) and Clock Tower in Piazza Cavour.
The Clock tower of Borgo San Lorenzo was probably part of the fortifications to defend the ancient castle, even before the 14th-century walls were built. Here was the first public watch, as can be witnessed by a 1503 plant, kept at the monastery of Santa Caterina. Read more …
Porta fiorentina of Borgo San Lorenzo, 30 arms high, connected Malacoda’s street to Porta a Marradi (now lost), passing through the Clock Square. The Porta fiorentina of Borgo San Lorenzo is made of brickwork with river stones, supported by a large round arch made of sandstone from cutting. Read more …
Pieve San Lorenzo
The Parish church of San Lorenzo is the main place of worship of Borgo San Lorenzo. The present construction dates back to the XII-XIII century. It has a unique 11 th-century irregular hexagonal bell tower. Read more …
Santuario del Santissimo Crocifisso dei Miracoli
The Santuario del Santissimo Crocifisso dei Miracoli was built between 1714 and 1743 by the Florentine architect Girolamo Ticciati. In 1919 it was rebuilt due to an earthquake. During the restoration it was impossible to reconstruct the bell tower because it was too damaged. Read more …
Church of San Francesco
Next to the Santuario del Santissimo Crocifisso dei Miracoli there is the church of San Francesco. Tradition has it that the Ubaldini had to give the church of Sant’Andrea (church before the present one) and the adjacent Franciscan convent. Read more…
Villa Pecori Giraldi
Villa Pecori Giraldi was built on an ancient Giraldi family building. In 1748 it became the property of Count Antonio Pecori Giraldi (he added to his surname Giraldi). It was donated to the Borgo San Lorenzo Municipality in 1979 and after a long restoration, it was opened to the public in 1999. Inside there are two museums: Chini Manifatture: The Collection and Chini Lan. Read more …
The Town Hall of Borgo San Lorenzo is located in Piazza Dante and is now the seat of the Municipality. In 1898 Nicolai was commissioned to draft a Regulatory Plan for the Municipality of Borgo San Lorenzo, which also included the placement of two new buildings such as Town Hall, Schools, Post office and Telegraph. Unfortunately, however, his project he was only able to provide schools because of the economic difficulties, the First World War and the earthquake of 29 June 1919. Read more …
Statue of Fido
The statue of Fido situated in front of the seat of the Municipality of Borgo San Lorenzo symbolizes the fidelity between man and animal. The encounter between Fido (Cross of a Pointer English) and his master Mr Soriani took place in the winter of 1941 when the man found the wounded dog in a ditch. He decided to take him home and adopt it, giving him the name of Fido. Read more …
Palazzo del Podestà
The medieval Palazzo Pretorio or the Podestà was built in the 13th century and later destroyed by the 1919 earthquake. It was completely reconstructed in 1935. The Banking Institute awarded the restoration work with the intent to favor also the construction of the historical museum of the I Armata , Who had fought in the Great War at the command of General Pecori Giraldi. From the beginning of the work, Dino Chini was entrusted with the restoration of the pictorial parts in the entrance hall on the ground floor. The façade decorated with the coat of arms of the stone and ceramic podestà is also noted. Today the building houses the Municipal Library and of the original building has only the entrance hall.
The Casa D’Erci Museum is located in Grezzano, a fraction of Borgo San Lorenzo. The idea of building a museum entirely dedicated to peasant life was born in 1976 after the organization of a small exhibition of agricultural tools at Luco di Mugello. Thus in 1978 the D’Erci group (volunteer association) was formed with the aim of collecting and storing documents of peasant life. Read more …